“Whatever is causing the Joan Collins ‘tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.”
It’s Cibo Matto!
From The Buffy Trivia Guide, a website Jess created back in the heady early 2000s.
The following conversation between Buffy’s parents was deleted from the episode When She Was Bad:
Hank: “Oh, I’m spoiling her. Did I forget to mention that?”
Joyce: “What you forgot is that I’m gonna have to deal with another year of ‘Daddy would let me buy that.’”
[Source: The Watcher’s Guide, Volume 1 by Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder]
When She Was Bad was the first episode of Buffy to feature Anthony Stewart Head’s voice on the opening teaser, rather than the other American narrator.
David Boreanaz was added to the opening credits from When She Was Bad, when he became a regular cast member.
At the very beginning of When She Was Bad, we see a courtyard shot of students. It is reused footage from season one’s Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. The guy walking away in the lilac shirt is Owen from that episode.
Sarah Michelle Gellar had her hair cut shorter, and dyed blonder, for her part in the movie Scream 2, which she filmed in the summer between Buffy’s seasons one and two.
The band Cibo Matto played their songs ‘Sugar, Water’ and ‘Spoon’ in the Bronze during When She Was Bad. The band features Sean Lennon, the son of John Lennon. Xander and Buffy danced together to the song ‘Sugar, Water’. There is a Cibo Matto poster on the wall behind the Scoobies as they talk at Buffy’s locker.
Snyder: “There are some things that I can just smell. It’s like a sixth sense.”
Giles: “Actually, that would be one of the five.”
Cordelia: “Whatever is causing the Joan Collins ‘tude, deal with it. Embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever, but get over it.”
Cordelia: “Is it possible to have too much character?”
Xander: “You’re Amish! You can’t fight back… ’cause you’re Amish! I mock you with my ice cream cone, Amish guy!”
Xander: “Yo! G-man! What’s up?”
Giles: “Nice to see you. And don’t ever call me that.”
Xander: “Which means we’re still the undead’s favorite party town.”
Buffy: “So, some of your cousins are in town for a family barbecue, and we’re all on the menu.”
Buffy: “Willow, grow up. Not everything is about kissing.”
Xander: “Yeah. Some stuff’s about groping.”
Buffy: “Cordelia, your mouth is open and sound is coming from it. This is never good.”
Cordelia: “You’re really campaigning for bitch-of-the-year, aren’t you?”
Buffy: “As defending champion, you nervous?”
Xander: “Are we overlooking the idea that she may be very attracted to me? … She’s possessed.”
Buffy: “What rest of the note?”
Willow: “The part that says, ‘P.S. This is a trap’?”
Buffy: “You’re a vampire. Oh, I’m sorry, was that an offensive term? Should I say ‘undead American’?”
Buffy: “I’m gonna kill them all. That oughta distract them.”
Giles: “What are you going to do? Crawl inside a cave for the rest of your life?”
Buffy: “Would it have cable?”
- 01.56 minutes: What happened to Xander’s ice cream cone? If he threw it on the ground when the vampire attacked, it’s certainly not there when he, Willow and Buffy walk away after the credits.
- 14.23 minutes: When Buffy’s mother drives her to school the morning after her nightmare, Buffy is wearing a pink top. However, when she gets to school, she is wearing a white top. The next day, she is wearing the pink top again.
- 39.10 minutes: At the end of the episode, when Buffy is smashing the Master’s bones with a sledge hammer, she is seen smashing his rib cage to bits, in another shot, the rib cage is magically back and we see her smash it again.
- Xander says to Buffy in Prophecy Girl, “I want to dance with you”. His wish comes true when Buffy dances sexily with him in the very next episode – When She Was Bad.
- In Welcome to the Hellmouth, Angel says about vampires to Buffy, “You want to kill them. You want to kill them all.” In the season two episode When She Was Bad, Angel asks Buffy how she is going to distract the vampires to which she responds, “I’m gonna kill them all.”
- In When She Was Bad, Joyce says, “I’ll just be happy if she makes it through the school year.” Buffy is kicked out of school at the end of the school year, in Becoming (Part 2) – making her mother’s fear certain.
- Check out our Big Buffy Trope Count – and feel free to contact us to submit your own!
- We’re ranking every episode as we go – find our rankings here.
- Follow us on Twitter
Hush: is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer podcast, where we’re watching every Buffy episode, one at a time. Hush is presented by long-time Buffy fans Jess Beeley and John Byrne, who live in Limerick, Ireland.