“I know you’re very strong, and you’ve got all those weapons… I was kind of hoping you were in a gang.”
We’re shattered! We’re knackered! We don’t know if we’re out of sight, or out of mind. Or both. Or neither. So please forgive us for the rather thrown together nature of this week’s offering.
Files got corrupted. Possibly by Moloch. Possibly by John. But we kept on keeping on.
Then went to bed.
Anyway, the main thing is that we have sexy Giles/Angel action! Those mystery legs are heating up nicely. Mmmmm.
And, y’know, we repealed the shit out of the fucking 8th!
From The Buffy Trivia Guide, a website Jess created back in the heady early 2000s.
- Although the season one episode is officially known as “Out of Mind, Out of Sight“, it is also widely referred to as “Invisible Girl”.
- The conversation between Buffy and Giles in Out of Mind, Out of Sight where he suggests she learn to listen to people wasn’t in the original script and was added during post-production. [Source: The Watcher’s Guide by Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder]
- The music Marcie plays on her flute is Bach’s ‘Siciliano’.
- In Marcie’s text book at the end of the episode, the bulk of the text is lyrics from ‘Happiness is a Warm Gun’ by the Beatles.
- Willow wears a Scooby Doo t-shirt in this episode – the gang will later be known as the Scoobies.
- The Bronze has a sign saying ‘Closed for fumigation’, but the post fumigation party took place in the episode Angel – more cockroaches?
- In the class of invisible students, how does Marcie know the chair she picks to sit in is unoccupied?
Giles: “Once again I teeter at the precipice of the generation gap.”
Angel: “Looking in the mirror everyday and seeing nothing there. It’s an overrated pleasure.”
Giles: “A vampire in love with a Slayer. It’s rather poetic… in a maudlin sort of way.”
Snyder: “There are no dead students here. This week.”
Xander: “What, so there’s homework now? When did that happen?”
Cordelia: “I know you’re very strong, and you’ve got all those weapons… I was kind of hoping you were in a gang.”
Continuity (Spoilers ahead)
- Angel meets Giles for the first time in Out of Mind, Out of Sight (”A vampire in love with a Slayer. It’s rather poetic, in a maudlin sort of way.”) and revealed to the Watcher that he could get copies of the Tiberius Manifesto and the Pergamum Codex, which are key accounts of Slayer lore. The books proved vital to Buffy in Prophecy Girl, as Giles discovered in them the prophecy that the Slayer would face the Master and die. In the season four episode of Angel ‘Orpheus‘, Willow was asked by Fred about the Pergamum Codex.
- In Out of Mind, Out of Sight, Angel saves Giles, Xander and Willow by turning off a leaky gas valve. He tells them, “It’s not like I need the oxygen.” This ties in with Prophecy Girl, where Xander saves Buffy’s life using CPR as Angel is unable to because he can’t breathe.
- Check out our Big Buffy Trope Count – and feel free to contact us to submit your own!
- We’re ranking every episode as we go – find our rankings here.
- Follow us on Twitter
Hush: is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer podcast, where we’re watching every Buffy episode, one at a time. Hush is presented by long-time Buffy fans Jess Beeley and John Byrne, who live in Limerick, Ireland.