Hope, wrote Emily Dickinson, is the thing with feathers. Owen (she didn’t write) is the pretentious thing with a gormless face you so want to slap.
Anyway, it’s Episode 5 – “Never Kill a Boy on the First Date”.
Where we chatter about: inner sanctums (ooer), sackfuls of imitation gold watches, Colin-a-likes and the ongoing tosspottery of Xander.
All the while wondering – where the blinking flip is Joyce?!
Giles: “Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn’t mean at the same time. “
Checked coat lady. This woman is everywhere!
From The Buffy Trivia Guide, a website Jess created back in the heady early 2000s.
- In the scene when Buffy and Giles are checking in the morgue lockers for vampires, the items in the background change (light, scale, vent, etc.) but the angle of the wall in the background doesn’t. They obviously kept the camera in the same place for each shot.
- Buffy’s house was orignally shot on location, but was later built on a sound-stage to make filming easier. Changes can be seen in the original and rebuilt house. In Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, in the scene where Giles finds Owen at Buffy’s house, it looks like there is no entrance to the dining room to the right of the front door.
- Go Giles! Giles gets knocked out again – by Andrew Vorba in the crematorium.
- Giles reveals that he was ten when his father told him that he was destined to be a Watcher. Giles wanted to be a fighter pilot, or a greengrocer. At least two of Giles’ relations had been Watchers: his father and grandmother.
- The band Velvet Chain appeared on stage in the Bronze in the episode Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, performing the tracks ‘Strong’ and ‘Treason’. The band’s singer, Erika Amato, became a huge fan of the show and used to write to fans on the official Buffy website’s posting board. Velvet Chain wrote their own theme song to the show, called ‘Buffy’. They then released The Buffy E.P. (1999, Freak Records – Velvet Chain’s own label). The album became so popular that it was distributed nationally in America, as the original album had only previously been available on Velvet Chain’s website. While writing the lyrics to the song ‘Buffy’ Jeff Stacy (the band’s composer) logged on to the Buffy Posting Board and asked fans for their ideas about what a Buffy song should say. He received over 100 e-mails from Buffy fans within three days. Seth Green (Oz) contributed guitar tracks on the song ‘Buffy’ on The Buffy E.P. and appears in the album credits. Seth has also performed with the band on stage. Nicholas Brendon (Xander) appeared in a photograph on inside sleeve of the E.P., with his twin brother Kelly.
Velvet Chain also performed at the show’s production wrap party in 1998, held at the El Rey Theater in Los Angeles. They have also performed at the Buffy Posting Board Parties held in 1999 and 2000.
The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Soundtrack (1999) includes the Velvet Chain song ‘Strong’.
- A discrepancy (and not the last!) in vampire mythology is shown at the beginning of Never Kill a Boy on the First Date. When Buffy stakes a vampire, he leaves a ring behind, but in all other cases when a vamp is staked everything turns to dust including clothing and jewellery.
- Seen at 10.47 minutes: The inside bus lights are turned on at the first shot of the bus. When the scene cuts to the inside of the bus, the lights are off.
- Seen at 20.12 minutes: When Buffy reaches out to grab her pager, there is nowhere she could have picked it up from. Was it floating in mid-air?
- Seen at 38.50 minutes: At the end of the episode, when Buffy and Owen are talking, you can see a woman in a red and black checked jacket carrying a red bag standing behind Buffy several times. She can also be seen behind Owen, and walking up the stairs a couple of times.
Giles: “Buffy, when I said you could slay and have a social life, I didn’t mean at the same time.”
Cordelia sees Angel: “Hello, salty goodness.”
Buffy: “If the apocalypse comes, beep me.”
Buffy: “See, this is a school, and we have students, and they check out books, and then they learn things.”
Giles: “I was beginning to suspect that was a myth.”
Giles: “Alright, I-I’ll just jump in my time machine, go back to the twelfth century and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show.”
Buffy: “Okay, at this point you’re abusing sarcasm.”
Giles: “If your identity as the Slayer is revealed it could put you and all those around you in grave danger.
Buffy: Well, in that case I won’t wear my button that says, ‘I’m the Slayer, ask me how!'”
Angel: “You’re here on a date?”
Buffy: “Yes! Why is it such a shock to everyone?”
Giles: “Uh, two more of the brethren came in here. They came after me. But I was more than a match for them.”
Giles: “I hid.”
Giles: “Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn’t mean at the same time. ”
- Andrew J. Ferchland played The Anointed One. Andrew’s character was rumoured to be killed off in season two because he began to go through puberty and was growing fast. (The undead don’t go through puberty).
- Geoff Meed played Andrew Borba in Never Kill A Boy On the First Date and came back to play Mag, one of the biker-demons in season six’s Bargaining (Parts 1 & 2).
- Sunnydale’s local newspaper is called the Sunnydale Press. It can be seen in the episodes Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, Reptile Boy, Becoming (Part 1), Bad Girls, Consequences, Graduation Day (Part 1), Hush and Once More, With Feeling.
- Buffy never uses her pager after this episode. She gets one when she joins the Initiative in season four’s The I in Team and says “I always wanted one of these”.
- Check out our Big Buffy Trope Count – and feel free to contact us to submit your own!
- We’re ranking every episode as we go – find our rankings here.
- Join our Facebook group to chat about this episode!
- Follow us on Twitter
Hush: is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer podcast, where we’re watching every Buffy episode, one at a time. Hush is presented by long-time Buffy fans Jess Beeley and John Byrne, who live in Limerick, Ireland.